Sunday, November 20, 2005

Chapter XVII - A Friend In Need

A little before sunset on the same afternoon as Mara was watching by the side of the wounded scout, Black Dinah entered the room and glancing cautiously around went up to her.

" Please, missus, come inter t'other room," she whispered. " You're wanted bad."

The speaker was greatly agitated, and she rolled her eyes and pulled her apron and clasped and unclasped her hands in a way that told of more than she dared or could tell.

Mara hesitated.

" Be spry 'fore sojers see."

Wondering what she could want, Mara followed her out of the room.

As they were allowed to go about the lower story of the house at liberty, the soldiers if they saw them thought nothing strange.

Dinah's teeth chattered and her eyes showed their whites in a startling way.

Mara came near uttering a cry of surprise as she entered the apartment to find a stranger standing in the center of the floor.

His hand was upraised enjoining silence.

" I am a friend," he said quickly, in a low tone.

'"Fore de lawd, he mus' be a sperit," chattered Dinah, "No immortal man c'u'd a got hyer and not a bref uv a soul to see im—"

" Hush!" warned the man.

He was of middle age, medium in stature, and with a well-knit frame.

His cleanly shaven face was frank and handsome. Perhaps his eyes were a bit too bright, but on the whole he seemed every inch a gentleman.

He was in citizen's dress and as far as was seen he carried no weapons.

All this Mara saw at a glance.

"Are we likely to be interrupted by the soldiers?"

" Not for a short time," she replied, imitating his tone. " What is your errand, sir?"

" I will state it briefly," he answered.

" A body of horsemen are even now on the road from Dalton to affect your capture. General Johnston is calling in all of the skirmishing parties he has sent out so as to concentrate his forces as much as possible. He cannot afford to keep any soldiers here longer. You will be taken to Dalton, or what I fear most, will be shot as a traitor as soon as you are dragged from the house. I have come to save you."

All this was spoken so rapidly that Mara could only listen in mute amazement.

" Who are you ?" she faltered at last.

" Don't be surprised at the mention of my name," he replied. "I am the Wizard Scout."

In spite of his warning she could hardly suppress a cry of amazement.

" I knew you would be surprised," he declared. " I was in disguise when you saw me before, as I am now. But that makes me none the less your friend. I know of all that has transpired since we parted and knowing your peril, I have come to help you escape."

"How ?" she asked.

"By flight. We must lose no time either. The troops will be here in half an hour. If you have no place you can go to, I will guide you to a friend of mine."

" I don't know what to do," she declared. " All this is so sudden and terrible. I want to go to Dalton to see Harry."

"But he is not there. He went to Reseca. To give you more confidence in what I promise to do here is a line I have brought you from Cavalry Curt."

As he spoke he unscrewed one of his buttons from his coat to produce a—small piece of paper disclosed beneath its cap.

Mara took the missive with a trembling hand.

She read :
"DEAR Miss MORLAND :—Learning of your danger I am anxious to lend you my assistance toward escape. But it Is impossible for me to do so. Thus I send my friend whom you have met before, knowing that he can do much better than I. You can trust him. I escaped safely from the enemy ; thanks to the friend who will help you now.
" Respectfully, " C. REMINGTON."

"I will do as you think best," she said, handing him back the paper.

"Then get ready to leave as soon as possible. Have you any place you wish to go ? "

" Yes , to my cousins in Woodsville."

"Very well. But perhaps you had better go back now as your absence may create a suspicion. Boyd Wyman is still here?"

" Yes."

" It may be best to speak to him. He is to be trusted in your behalf. While you are gone I will plan a way of escape. Return soon."

As Mara returned to the side of Wyman's couch she saw by the actions of the soldiers that she had appeared none too soon to allay their suspicions.

Whatever the scout may have thought he remained quiet.

As she gazed upon his pale face bearing so plainly the evidence of his suffering it occurred to her as an act of self ness and cowardice to leave him.

Nevertheless as soon as the soldiers turned away, she whispered to him the presence of the strange man in adjoining room and what he had told her.

If Boyd Wyman was surprised he not show it by look or word.

" The Wizard Scout, you say ?"

" Yes; but how could he have here ?"

" Nothing seems impossible with him. You could not have had a better friend come to your rescue. I am glad he has come. Trust in him and you will have little to fear. You had better get ready at once."

"But what will become of you? "

"Oh, I shall get along all right," he replied, carelessly. " Remember I shall be among friends. I wish you god-speed in your escape. If we never meet again remember Boyd Wyman will never forget your kindness to him. There, you had better return to your friend as there is no time to be lost."

Not without some reluctance Mara turned to the Wizard Scout.

" I am glad you have come," he said.

" I can think of but one way to escape. You will have to personate the colored servant who was here. I suppose she is allowed to go about the house at will and even out of it."

"Oh, yes. She goes to the spring for water often."

" I mistrusted as much. Now is there one I can personate ? "

After a moment's thought she answered as her countenance brightened : " Oh, yes ; there is Pete. And they are together much."

"They are just the ones then. We shall not have to separate. If you can manage to get some of their clothing I will arrange the rest. I am almost pre pared for such a disguise. I was a darky all day yesterday. The day before Irishman.”

Mara went out to find Dinah.

She was in the kitchen and alone.

A few words explained all to the faithful servant, at least, all that was necessary to tell.

" 'Deed I will, missus."

"And you must keep out of sight as soon as I tell you to."

'"Deed I will, missus. Is it fer yees to git away from 'em whurrible sojers?"

" Yes, Dinah. Be quick about it, only don't let them see you."

"'Deed I won't, missus."
"Mara returned to the wounded scout while Dinah was getting the garments.

" Has he hit upon a plan?" he asked.

Then as she explained the plan he nodded his head in approval.

" It is best."

Mara was too anxious to remain idle long, so she soon returned to the kitchen.

Dinah seemed greatly agitated.

" What is it, Dinah?"

'"Pore the lawd, it am s'prisin'! Fust dar ain't no man; den I'se fin' white, and jess now w'en I tote dem fings dar what s'pose I find. A man black—yah, black as Pete. Shure nuff——"

" Hush! some one is coming."

In a louder tone: " Aren't those cakes about done, Dinah-You seem slower than ever."

" Deed, I is," muttered Dinah, turning to the neglected cakes.

One of the guards entered the room, but seeing nothing suspicious he returned to the front of the house.

Perhaps they were expecting the troops from Dalton for they were anxiously watching the road that wound like a huge serpent in that direction.

Not a second of the next five minutes was lost by our friends.

At the end of that time had one looked for Mara Morland and the Wizard Scout he would have found them transformed into identical counterparts of Pete and Dinah.

Mara had bidden farewell to Boyd Wyman, and had told Pete and Dinah to keep out of sight.

"I think we are ready to start now," said the Wizard Scout, lowly. "Be brave and do not lose your self-possession let, come what may. Follow me."

Reaching the kitchen they saw one of the soldiers in the next room.

As unconcernedly, however, as if their errand was a real one the scout took up a couple of buckets and handed one to Mara.

" Reckon we'se go to der sp'ing fer watah, honey," he said in imitation of Pete's maudlin tone.

As he opened the door a body of horsemen came in sight of the house, riding at a smart canter.

" Run long wid yer, old gal."

Under his breath he said: " I am afraid we are too late!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home